Friday, December 23, 2011

DAY 24: THE FINAL CHAPTER


I should have had a bad feeling about this.


'Twas the night before Christmas 
And all in my head. 
The voices have been silenced, 
I've been rendered brain dead. 
~ 
A full month of holiday movies, 
Mostly Hallmark Channel fare, 
Have taken a toll on my senses. 
My mental cupboard left bare. 
~ 
I sit, verbally unresponsive, 
Thanks to the damage that I've done. 
Scaring the ever-living shit 
Out of both my loving wife and son. 
~ 
My boy is frantic and hysterical, 
Voicing his concern and his worry. 
My wife screams into her phone, 
"Please, just get here in a hurry!" 
~ 
Waiting for help to arrive, 
The little man, he begins to cry. 
He says, "Now Christmas is ruined!" 
"All because Daddy's gonna die!" 
~ 
My wife tries to calm him, 
Gives him a present to unwrap. 
And then when he's not looking, 
She gives my face a quick slap. 
~ 
Then she moves closer to me, 
Whispers so my boy cannot hear, 
"How could you do this to us, you bastard?" 
She hisses in my good ear. 
~
She's right in her anger, 
Her venom, it is just. 
This was a very, very bad idea. 
My little pet project is a bust. 
~ 
"'Twill be a Christmas movie advent calendar!" 
I had crowed with such pride. 
"I'll blog all about it, everybody." 
"Won't you come on along for the ride?" 
~
I did it all for a goof, for a laugh, 
To be funny, but alas no such luck. 
Seriously, what the hell happened? 
This is a complete clusterf@%k! 
~ 
Sitting here, staring blankly, 
Reflecting on all the films that I took in. 
Sure most of them were bad but I can't see… 
Ooops, just drooled a little on my chin. 
~ 
Perhaps it wasn't any one flick alone 
That inflicted so much harm. 
But maybe all of them together, 
Accumulation had been the charm. 
~ 
Still, after 23 of the things there'd been 
No sign of neurological attack. 
Number 24, that must have been the straw 
That broke the f@%king camel's back. 
~ 
Thought I had it made, so clever, 
But really I should have known. 
Holiday in Handcuffs screwed me, but good, 
Should have left that damned film alone. 
~ 
A real stinker about a chick with issues. 
Lemme think, who played that part? 
She was once Clarissa, then Sabrina… 
Oh yeah, it was Melissa Joan Hart. 
~ 
Desperate 'round the holiday, 
To please her mom and dad, 
Wants to finally bring home a fella. 
So she does something really bad. 
~ 
Kidnaps a guy at gunpoint 
To pretend to be her beau. 
Played by… well nothing rhymes with Lopez, 
So let's just call him Mario. 
~ 
At this point I'm gonna cheat a little. 
A small liberty that I'll take. 
But I'm writing this thing in verse you know, 
So could you cut me a f@%king break? 
~ 
Gonna refer you back to the DAY 1 entry, 
Let Holiday Engagement summarize. 
Since both tone and plot here were similar 
To that which kick-started my demise. 
~
In that film the chick hires an actor,
So they differ there, it's true. 
Melissa abducted her faux boyfriend. 
Besides that… really nothing new. 
~
And with that we've come full circle, 
I've got nothing left, there's no more. 
Just as well since it seems there's an EMS crew 
Barreling through my front door. 
~ 
As they cart me off to the loony bin, 
Safely restrained for my own sake. 
There's something else I must share with you, 
One last confession I have to make. 
~ 
You see, I'm not really posting this. 
Wish I could, yeah that'd be great. 
But how the hell could I make a blog post, 
When I'm in a catatonic state? 
~ 
I'm convinced this one-way conversation 
Is all just happening in my mind. 
Or what little of it's left anyway, 
The portion Hallmark left behind. 
~ 
You're all figments of my imagination, 
Proof that I've gone 'round the bend. 
I've enjoyed these 24 days with you, 
But now that time has come to an end. 
~ 
So as the men in white coats prepare me, 
Make sure the straps are fitted nice and tight, 
I SAY TO YOU ALL MERRY CHRISTMAS! 
I AM GETTING SO MEDICATED TONIGHT! 

HAPPY HOLIDAYS, EVERYONE!
LOVE TO YOU ALL!

No comments:

Post a Comment