Thursday, September 29, 2011

REALLY?

We're doing this crap again Red Sox? Just like the old days, September comes and you fall apart like the Bluesmobile after Jake and Elwood finally make it to city hall? (That scene still cracks me up.) But the Blues Brothers had 106 miles of hard and fast driving to go through before the old girl fell apart on them. You only had to hold on to nine games, Sox… NINE GAMES! And you just… you just… DAMMIT!

But as a fan of Boston sports I get to have a rather unique outlook on the matter. For me, nothing will ever be as bad as what happened to the Patriots perfect season a few years ago. (WHY GOD, WHY?) And even as tragic as that was, it was all those previous years of Sox frustration that had hardened my heart enough to cope with the Super Bowl devastation and the loss of perfection. So wait… years of Red Sox inflicted heartache helped me cope with Patriots grief, which in turn is helping me deal with current Red Sox despair? Yeah, that can't be a healthy cycle.

Anyway, the worse part of it all… yup, Yankee fans. Get to hear all about how great their team is because they've won twenty-seven World Series championships and now they're Division Champs and on a quest for number twenty-eight. Which really gets to me since the most vociferous Yankee fans I know have only been alive on the planet for the last seven Series championships. Except for Walt, the crazy old man who lives up the street from me with his mangy dog, Clipper. I think he's been around for all twenty-seven titles. Hell, I think Clipper has too. So from Walt I'll take the guff.


Fortunately each season comes with a reset button. Spring will come, we'll wipe the slate clean and start again fresh. But for now… DAMMIT!

No comments:

Post a Comment