Friday, December 23, 2011

DAY 24: THE FINAL CHAPTER


I should have had a bad feeling about this.


'Twas the night before Christmas 
And all in my head. 
The voices have been silenced, 
I've been rendered brain dead. 
A full month of holiday movies, 
Mostly Hallmark Channel fare, 
Have taken a toll on my senses. 
My mental cupboard left bare. 
I sit, verbally unresponsive, 
Thanks to the damage that I've done. 
Scaring the ever-living shit 
Out of both my loving wife and son. 
My boy is frantic and hysterical, 
Voicing his concern and his worry. 
My wife screams into her phone, 
"Please, just get here in a hurry!" 
Waiting for help to arrive, 
The little man, he begins to cry. 
He says, "Now Christmas is ruined!" 
"All because Daddy's gonna die!" 
My wife tries to calm him, 
Gives him a present to unwrap. 
And then when he's not looking, 
She gives my face a quick slap. 
Then she moves closer to me, 
Whispers so my boy cannot hear, 
"How could you do this to us, you bastard?" 
She hisses in my good ear. 
~
She's right in her anger, 
Her venom, it is just. 
This was a very, very bad idea. 
My little pet project is a bust. 
"'Twill be a Christmas movie advent calendar!" 
I had crowed with such pride. 
"I'll blog all about it, everybody." 
"Won't you come on along for the ride?" 
~
I did it all for a goof, for a laugh, 
To be funny, but alas no such luck. 
Seriously, what the hell happened? 
This is a complete clusterf@%k! 
Sitting here, staring blankly, 
Reflecting on all the films that I took in. 
Sure most of them were bad but I can't see… 
Ooops, just drooled a little on my chin. 
Perhaps it wasn't any one flick alone 
That inflicted so much harm. 
But maybe all of them together, 
Accumulation had been the charm. 
Still, after 23 of the things there'd been 
No sign of neurological attack. 
Number 24, that must have been the straw 
That broke the f@%king camel's back. 
Thought I had it made, so clever, 
But really I should have known. 
Holiday in Handcuffs screwed me, but good, 
Should have left that damned film alone. 
A real stinker about a chick with issues. 
Lemme think, who played that part? 
She was once Clarissa, then Sabrina… 
Oh yeah, it was Melissa Joan Hart. 
Desperate 'round the holiday, 
To please her mom and dad, 
Wants to finally bring home a fella. 
So she does something really bad. 
Kidnaps a guy at gunpoint 
To pretend to be her beau. 
Played by… well nothing rhymes with Lopez, 
So let's just call him Mario. 
At this point I'm gonna cheat a little. 
A small liberty that I'll take. 
But I'm writing this thing in verse you know, 
So could you cut me a f@%king break? 
Gonna refer you back to the DAY 1 entry, 
Let Holiday Engagement summarize. 
Since both tone and plot here were similar 
To that which kick-started my demise. 
~
In that film the chick hires an actor,
So they differ there, it's true. 
Melissa abducted her faux boyfriend. 
Besides that… really nothing new. 
~
And with that we've come full circle, 
I've got nothing left, there's no more. 
Just as well since it seems there's an EMS crew 
Barreling through my front door. 
As they cart me off to the loony bin, 
Safely restrained for my own sake. 
There's something else I must share with you, 
One last confession I have to make. 
You see, I'm not really posting this. 
Wish I could, yeah that'd be great. 
But how the hell could I make a blog post, 
When I'm in a catatonic state? 
I'm convinced this one-way conversation 
Is all just happening in my mind. 
Or what little of it's left anyway, 
The portion Hallmark left behind. 
You're all figments of my imagination, 
Proof that I've gone 'round the bend. 
I've enjoyed these 24 days with you, 
But now that time has come to an end. 
So as the men in white coats prepare me, 
Make sure the straps are fitted nice and tight, 
I SAY TO YOU ALL MERRY CHRISTMAS! 
I AM GETTING SO MEDICATED TONIGHT! 

HAPPY HOLIDAYS, EVERYONE!
LOVE TO YOU ALL!

No comments:

Post a Comment